Each week to help provide a context for our learning we use a 'Book Hook'. This week's book hook is 'Aaaarrgghh Spider!' by Lydia Monks.
Spider wants to be a family pet. But the family whose house she lives in are terrified of her! Whenever she tries to show them what a great pet she would make, they just scream, ”AAAARRGGHH, SPIDER!”.
This is a lovely story that you wouldn't initially think was about having a pet! It is a beautifully illustrated picture book about fitting in, get along with people ad making friends. To have a pet in your family you need them to be able to do all these things and more.
Don't worry if you haven't got a copy of this book at home we have include a You Tube link so that you can share the book with your child.
After sharing the story with your child, talk together about the following ideas.
- How do you think the family felt when they first saw the spider in their house?
- Why was the spider in the house?
- How do you think the spider felt when she heard them shouting 'Aaaarrgghh Spider!'
- After the word spider there is an exclamation mark ! ... when we are reading aloud that tells us to say the words in a shouty voice. Practise saying 'Aaaarrgghh Spider!' in a normal voice and then in a shouty voice. Have a go at saying these words in a normal voice and then in a shouty voice ... No Noooo! Hello Hellooo! Stop Stooooooop! Help Heeeeeeelp!
- Look carefully at the pictures, what pets do the family already have?
- Have you got any pets at home?
- If you could have a pet what pet would you have?
- What did the spider do that made the family think she would make a god pet?
- Towards the end of the story the family liked having the spider as a pet so why do you think at the end of the story they shouted 'Aaaagghh Spiders!'?